Thursday, January 08, 2009

Birds Of America

Catherine woke up this morning still throwing up, so no school for her. The good news is that for the rest of the day Catherine didn't throw up. Since Ginger couldn't leave Catherine I got to play taxi and take Quinn to school, pick him up and take him to his dance class after school.

Since I have nothing else worth mentioning (for the moment, none of the rest of the family has taken ill), I'll throw in this mini review of the movie Birds Of America. So let's say you're making a movie and you cast Matthew Perry, who is basically known as Chandler, the funny one, from Friends. Then you include Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls. Sounds like you have the making a decent comedy on your hands, right? Then for some reason you decide who needs comedy and instead you decide do this movie. I think the movie is trying to be a dark serious film with a comedic undertone. That's what I think it was trying for. I'm not sure what it actually is (bad comes to mind though). It feels like an unfunny version of The Royal Tenenbaums on about a 1/4 of the budget (and for the record I didn't think The Royal Tenenbaums was a funny movie).

To give you feel for how bad it is Ginger made this comment about an hour into the film "I think I would rather be watching that X-Files movie again."

To which I replied, "Really? I'm not sure it's that bad."

And she replied "Yep, X-Files was better than this."

It's a shame too, because if nothing else the underlying theme explored by the movie could have been decent I believe if they had the proper script. But they just seemed to have a lot of subplots that never really seemed to come together.

2 comments:

wtfree3 said...

So, what Ginger was saying is that a movie about Larry Bird being married to Lady Bird Johnson would have been more entertaining than this movie. Does that feel about right?

gaz said...

and for the record I didn't think The Royal Tenenbaums was a funny movie

me neither.
i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this one... so i can avoid it!