Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Warp Tree, Engage!


We had snow this morning. Just some very light flurries with absolutely no accumulation, but still. According to the weather we may get some more tomorrow with actual accumulation. Not sure I'm looking forward to that.


So I've been experimenting with taking some photos of the Christmas tree. I like how a couple of them have turned out. Sadly these are the best of the bunch. And I took a bunch.


I'm not particularly thrilled with the blurred image one. But I like a couple of the other exploding ones. I'm still on the fence about the imploding one. You can tell I have a hard time not shaking the lens since most of the times the light lines aren't completely straight (one of them turned out pretty good though).


And I got my hair cut tonight. It was an interesting experience. The lady cutting my hair was obviously overbooked since she had someone waiting in the wings already when she was cutting my hair. Then while she's cutting my hair one of the other stylists comes over and tells her that she's not feeling well and leaving early and can she pick up her walk in also. My stylist agrees and suddenly I've got the Tazmanian Devil cutting my hair complete with opaque swirling cloud and brief flashes of scissors as pieces of my hair go flying everywhere.

2 comments:

gaz said...

nice effect. is that a slow zoom on a slow shutter?

JamesF said...

gaz: nice effect. is that a slow zoom on a slow shutter?

Yea, that's basically it. I bumped the ISO speed down to 200. Set the shutter for 3 seconds. Spent half a second zooming the and the other 2.5 seconds stationary. I tried playing around with doing the zoom first versus last, but there wasn't a huge difference. I apparently don't know how long 3 seconds is since if I were to zoom at the end since I would often zoom too early, which is how I ended up with the blur effect one. Changing whether you spend most of the time zoomed in or out will change the imploding versus exploding.