Sunday, December 02, 2007

Spent Sunday Recovering

Spent a lot of Sunday trying to get info off my old computer. Who knew that XP has semi decent security. Since most of my stuff is under My Documents, that's all inaccessible if you take the disk to another computer. At first when I took the drive to another computer using an external case I browsed to the area and it told me the directory contained 0 bytes. I'll admit I kind of paniced a bit when I saw that (it should say something like folder inaccessible instead of saying it's 0 bytes). I did make note of the fact that the free space available was only 2.5 Gig, which is what it had free before. So even if the data had become lost, it probably still would have been recoverable. But luckily I know one of our work sys admin's (Matt) home number and I gave him a call and he walked me through figuring it out (actually he ended up connecting to my computer and doing it himself). So I've got the pictures off and stored on Ginger's machine, and I can get to the rest of the data so at least I feel better about that. Plus knowing that the last couple of months of pictures are now on two separate hard drives alleviates some of my concerns since single points of failure are bad in my opinion. Both hard drives are in the same house though, at some point I need to push all this data to a drive and get that copy out of the house.

We rearranged the downstairs a bit today. And every time I would walk past my office I would feel the urge to sit down at the computer, but that won't be happening any time soon. It feels a bit like a phantom limb. Like I *know* the computer is dead, but when I walk by I still want to sit down and check stuff.

No comments: