Saturday, December 15, 2007

The New Hard Drive Looks FAT

Ok, it's now Saturday morning. Most of everything has copied except for a couple of files. Each time I try and copy one the files that didn't work it says the destination drive is full and needs to have files deleted before the copy can occur. The new drive still has over 200 Gig free, so I'm not seeing how that's actually the problem. After looking into why that's the case I discovered all the files that didn't copy over were over 4 Gig. After looking into it some more, it turns out the new hard drive (which I will now add came preformatted) is formatted with FAT32. Gah! Now I have to decide whether I want to wipe the 220 Gig of stuff it took 5 hours to copy onto it and reformat it or just live with it being FAT32 (laziness is having me lean towards not reformatting it).

The new hard drive has a blue LED on the front to show when the drive is in use. But instead of the normal on / off it's a wide light and it goes back and forth as you access it. While I was copying data last night it looked like an old school cyclon (or a refurbished KITT). The cool looking factor is at this point being overshadowed by the FAT32 aspect though.

2 comments:

The Dogfather said...

Sorry, that was:

convert x: /fs:ntfs

Where X: is the new drive letter.

-Dogfather

(Note this may take some time... but should make it so you don't have to recopy...)

Curt Sawyer said...

I purchased an external, network drive several months ago (iOmega) when I realized that 5 years worth of digital pictures only exited on our 4-year old Dell's hard drive. It is pretty loud, and last night as it was running th back up Cheryl demanded that I stop it. I'm thinking of moving the drive into the closet (where one of the printers is also located), in the hope that it will muffle the sound.