Thursday, December 13, 2007

This Time I'm Really Done

I know before I said I had beaten Super Mario Galaxy, but now I'm really done with it. I actually finished it over the past weekend. You can "beat" the game (i.e. rescue Princess Peach) after getting *only* 60 stars. But there are 120 stars you can get (as Mario). Once you've gotten all 120 stars, if you rescue Peach again it will open up the ability to play as Luigi. So you get to play the whole game again as Luigi. A couple of the boards (the cosmic races basically) are different in the Luigi version, but other than that it's mostly the same game. The difference is the controls. Luigi is actually faster than Mario and can jump higher. The down side is he has no traction. Whereas Mario can stop on a dime when you try and stop as Luigi he'll slide for a bit in the direction he was going. For the most part it isn't a problem since he can make 90 degree turns with no sliding problems and it's only completely stopping or reversing direction that you run into issues (it is tedious on boards that have very small above ground paths since you tend to fall off those more often). So once you play through as Luigi and get the 120 stars again and rescue Peach twice more you open up the final stage (which isn't difficult and more of a "Here's one more level for all the hard work you put into the game"). The final stage is on the planet with the trial stars (trust me that this is useful information to have and if you get to the point where you need that info you'll know what it means). So now that I've gotten all 242 stars I think I can finally put that game to bed. For me anyway, Quinn and Catherine still like to play it, but Quinn gets pretty frustrated when he can't beat the end level bosses. Need to figure out what the next game I want to play is now. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.


And I might as well throw in another image of the star from the kid's tree. It was taken the same time as the one I posted a couple days ago (I like the other image better though).

No comments: