Monday, December 24, 2007

3 Years Is Pretty Close To 2 Weeks, Right?


Most of our out of town guests arrived today. We now have Ginger's parents, her brother, her grandmother and my Mom here. Tomorrow we're expecting my uncle, aunt and cousins. Nothing says the holidays like a house full of people and more cookies and cakes than you can shake a stick at.


All the present are now wrapped and aligned along the family room. There simply wasn't room under the tree itself for this many presents.

When we first moved in the room designated as my office didn't have a working cable outlet. Because of that there was a cable wire that stretched halfway across the basement to the cable modem, then there was a network wire going from the cable modem across the rest of the basement to my office where the where our firewall / router was. I believe Ben was here at the time when I first set it up. Ginger made some comment about not wanting this to be a permanent setup. I assured her it wouldn't be and that I would have it taken care of in a week, two weeks max. Ben gave me this sideways glance that basically said "Riiiight." Once Ginger was out of earshot I believe Ben said something like "That's going to be there for a while". Well, it took a while, but I'm finally to the point where I can soon move it.

See it wasn't too long after that (I'll admit it was more than two weeks, maybe a month or two) I checked out the cable outlet in my office. I could see the hole the wire went down from the storage room. But the hole was about 25 feet away from where I could see into the space between two support beams. The space between the beams was about a feet wide and vertically there was about 9 inches of space. So there was no way I could crawl that far down the shaft to where the hole was (in addition to the space being too small there were nails sticking out of the floor above). The wire was also apparently stapled or connected somehow and I couldn't just reach in with something and grab it to pull it out.

About eight months ago I had borrowed a line tracer from Matt at work. After using that I knew the cable wire in my office went through the ceiling, across the roof of the bathroom along the wall of the storage closet and then across the bathroom ceiling again back into the downstairs guest bedroom. Basically those two outlets were connected to one another and nothing else and thus didn't work (at least I couldn't locate anywhere else they might be connected to something else). But the secret was I knew the wire was accessible now from the storage room.

After the trip to Home Depot yesterday I had some cable wire and connectors. So today I got that wire out from behind the wall in the storage closet and cut it. I took one of the split off connections from the cable and stretched it over to this new area and added in a splitter (I eventually ended up having to run the wire that I had unconnected over to this new splitter also). The end of the story being that after almost three years I have finally gotten cable access in my office and will soon be able to move the cable modem (just need to find an open outlet first, I'm sure that won't take long though).

No comments: