Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rise Of The Shiny Turd

Watched Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer last night. Not a lot good to say about it. The whole movie feels formulaic. And the ending pretty much blows. I won't give anything away, but I will say if he was able to do that then, why did he never do it before? The whole thing is just a setup for a Silver Surfer movie spin off. And the fact that they did a voice over on the Silver Surfer was pretty obvious and poorly done. Every time he talks I'm thinking Morpheus somehow ended up in the wrong movie (Tank, I need an exit). I'm convinced that the first Spider-Man movie, the first two X-Men movies and Batman Begins have have pretty much spoiled me into thinking it is possible to do a good superhero movie and you shouldn't do one unless you do it right. This isn't a completely terrible movie, since I do believe it's better than some other superhero movies (let's say Elektra, Daredevil, Hulk or Superman Returns). But it's just mediocre at best. And it's short. At only around 90 minutes it felt rushed. I mean we're dealing with the wedding of Reed and Sue, introducing the Silver Surfer, the return of Doctor Doom and the entire concept of Galactus, and you try and squeeze that into 90 minutes? And what's with the Galactus being a storm cloud? I mean I get that it's tough sell to the general public that the original Kirby version of Galactus in his purple ensemble and crazy giant tuning fork hat and purple skirt don't exactly convey the impact of an imminent threat, but still, a storm cloud? It's all too much and the film suffers because of it and feels like a big mishmash of ideas thrown together to fill out 90 minutes. It is shinier than the first movie in that there feel like there are more special effect shots in this one, but they seem to think more special effect means more entertaining, which it doesn't in this case. Unless you're a comic book nut like me, you're not missing anything here by passing on this one (and even if you are one, it's still pretty lackluster in my opinion).

1 comment:

Scott said...

Have to agree. It was a turd. Plus, you didn't get to see (REALLY SEE) Jessica Alba in her birthday suit.