Saturday, October 27, 2007

Fall Fair Finally, Flocks Forgather For Fun


Ginger and Quinn left early this morning to head up to the school to finish setting up for the fall fair. I almost got to sleep in for a bit, but the garage door opener broke and Nana kept trying to close the door while I was trying to sleep. Eventually I had to get up to go see what the problem was (the sensor light had fallen off in case anyone cares). Once I was up though, I didn't really feel like going back to bed.






The fair had been moved indoors since it was still raining Friday night and it didn't let up until about an hour or so before the fair started. By then it was too late to rearrange stuff (and the ground outside was still pretty wet anyway). Since Quinn is in the elementary program that meant he was responsible for running a couple of the games throughout the day. At one point he was in charge of pumpkin bowling and later he was responsible for the can game. Quinn is all Mr rules when running a game. You dare not bend the rules or else you will face his wrath. Okay, so he'll just berate you a bit and tell you how you're suppose to play. He did let his friend Franco play the can game for free once, and then let him have a prize. When asked later why he let Franco have a prize even though he didn't play he said it was because he was told "Everyone that plays the can game is a winner and gets a prize." Since there was nothing about paying in that statement, anyone playing the game would therefore qualify for a prize regardless of whether they paid or not. I tell you, you have to be very explicit when talking to him these days.




I barely saw Ginger throughout the fair except for a brief bit at lunch. She was always rushing off to take care of some emergency or situation it seemed. All this meant I got to hang out a lot with Catherine.






Catherine ended up playing a couple of the games over and over. The lollipop tree and the spin the wheel for the prize ended up being her favorites (I think because she got fairly decent prizes from those games versus just a sticker or something from some of the other games).


I managed to lock my keys in the car at one point. It was when we were preparing for the costume parade. I got Catherine's costume out of the trunk and evidently set the keys down (in the trunk) while I was helping Catherine get into her costume. And once I got Catherine's costume on I just closed the trunk (oops). Good thing I got her costume out so she could be in the parade before I did that. Luckily once the fair was over I borrowed Ginger's key's and took the kids home in her car and dropped them and Nana off (and they got to hang out with my cousin Will who had just arrived for a visit). I grabbed a set of spare keys and then headed back to the school where I spent the next couple of hours helping tear things down and put furniture back where it belonged.

Once we got home and eventually got dinner for the kids I got to see Will some. I introduced him to the Wii. Sadly I'm losing my touch and as I was playing with Will I managed to drop 200 skill points in bowling (I almost lost my PRO status). Will played around with the boxing for a bit and decided he was king of the ring and challenged me. The first game was pretty close, but I managed to win by knockout. Subsequent games weren't as close and looked more like Clubber Lang beating on Rocky Balboa in the first part of Rocky III. In fact, I won all the games we played by knockout, and none of them went more than one round. My favorite line was Will claiming it was the controller, but then refusing to switch controllers with me because "at least this way I can claim it was the controller." He got me back in the bowling by beating me there and causing me to drop the aforementioned 200 skill points over the course of several games.

No comments: