Thursday, October 04, 2007

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

So here's the deal. I know every time I mention this it makes KennyG's head almost explode, but I don't run antivirus software at home. I don't run it on Ginger's computer either, and we haven't had any problems. However, I am forced to use antivirus software at work. It's suppose to protect me from all sort of malicious programs that attempt to do things like overrun buffers. The image above appeared at work when I logged in today. So what's going to protect me from the antivirus program? My personal opinion is antivirus programs are overrated. That and the fact that they seem to ingrain themselves so deeply into your computer that there is literally no way to get rid of them completely once they've been installed. Not to mention they completely destroy the performance of your computer when they're running.

I will say this (and I'm probably just asking for trouble here), but in general there seem to be a lot less exploits and virus outbreaks these days. Don't get me wrong, there's still the occasional person that clicks on the wrong thing and suddenly everyone in their Outlook address book is getting email or something, but the instances of worms and network crippling threats seems to have reduced dramatically in the past couple of years. And more often than not these days when there is an exploit found, it's a hypothetical one that isn't even necessarily exercised, but just potentially a problem. So for all the crappy things Microsoft does, I have to say that after ten years they seem to have finally gotten their act together when it comes to security. That said I still won't be firing up Outlook any time in the near future unless someone forces me to and they'll have to pry Firefox / Thunderbird from my cold dead electronic fingers.

2 comments:

gaz said...

right there with you mate. i don't have any running either and i strongly urge people i know not to! their response is usually "bwuh!".
every month i use trend micro's housecall. you run it - it checks your drives - and it's done. as it's online it's completely up to date and (like you say) it's not running in the background grinding everything to a halt.
the last time i went to help a mate buy a laptop, it was bundled with norton. the young assistant couldn't comprehend that we didn't want it and, after a long consultation with the manager (who looked about 12!) who asked"what do you expect me to give yo uinstead?" to which we replied "a webcam", he reluctantly obliged and my friend went home happy.

Scott said...

My computer network at home is comprised of Ubuntu Linux machines, each sitting behind a hardware firewall, and I do NOT use antivirus software of any kind.

Linux + Mozilla + HW Firewall = REAL STRONG PROTECTION

I've had great performance and no issues.

Plus, if my kids ever download some EXE they shouldn't, it won't run in Linux!