Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sadly, I Called It

Ginger was out bright and early this morning to get to the book fair and volunteer early this morning. Catherine's fever was gone as of midday yesterday, so she was back in school today. And since the kids went with Ginger this morning, they were both at school bright and early.

The picture above is Quinn after he's put together the leftover pieces of the old faucet. I have no idea why, but he thinks it's just the coolest thing to have the old faucet there (which he's convinced is simply there for his own personal amusement). He certainly seems to enjoy putting all the pieces back together again.

And I wish I could say I didn't call this one, but on Monday I said
Anyway, I have this sneaky feeling that Drive is going to end up going the way of previous Tim Minear shows (like Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls, all of which is a fancy way of saying it'll probably be canceled soon).
I must be prescient because FOX has officially canceled the show already. Perhaps the network read my blog on Monday and decided that the handwriting was on the wall and canceled it. Ok, that probably wasn't it and it deals more with they felt the show wasn't bringing in viewers to 24 which came on after it. You see, 24's viewership is down, so the network has decided it's because of the lead in instead of considering that it might have something to do with the fact that 24 is crap this season (this is a statistically determined conclusion derived from my non-random sampling of two people that are actually watching it this season). All of this raises the question of will ruggedly handsome Nathan Fillion ever find regular work? And I was just starting to really get into the theme song for the show also (I still can't find the song on iTunes). Drive was pulled after airing only three times. That's gotta be close to some kind of record. Although now that I think about it I'm fairly certain that The Paula Poundstone Show topped it by only lasting one episode (sorry John, I know you liked her, but that show was a train wreck).

I watched Corpse Bride the other night. I've had this DVD from Netflix for almost two weeks, but just could never motivate myself enough to sit down and watch it for some reason. It's a strange movie. But it's also a Tim Burton movie, so saying it's strange is a bit redundant. The movie has a familiar feel to it if you've seen The Nightmare Before Christmas since it uses the same type of stop-motion-animation technique. The one thing I found really interesting was the use of color throughout the movie. The movie starts out and everything is gray, dark, subdued and solemn. The people, the town, everything. But later when the locale switches to the realm of the dead, it becomes this colorful, loud and fun place. Not sure if that's suppose represent some underlying message about the difference between the enjoyment of life and death, but if there's a message there I don't know what it is. It did make for an interesting juxtaposition though. Like most animated shows, the film also features several scenes where characters will spontaneously break into song. Although none of these songs are ones you would necessarily want your kids singing since they mostly deal with various darker themes. And since we're talking about the songs, the soundtrack is by Danny Elfman, so you already know it's good. Elfman is probably my favorite "Hey I recognize that style" composer behind John Williams. In fact, those two might be the only ones where I can distinguish the composer from hearing the work, often even if I've never heard the score before. There's no reason I shouldn't have loved this film. And yet I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it. Maybe it's because as the movie goes on you can see where the bride's story is going to end. Maybe it's because it's so much like The Nightmare Before Christmas that it's hard to judge this on it's own instead of thinking of it as a derivative work. Maybe the story isn't as compelling as it could be. It certainly wasn't a bad movie by any stretch, but the movie just didn't wow me. In the end (no pun intended) it was an enjoyable movie to watch and at times entertaining.

1 comment:

gaz said...

here's me getting all excited about drive and you go and jinx it for me before i even get a chance to sample its delights.
tut.