Wednesday, April 18, 2007

No Longer Off The Grid

Well, my wallet showed up in the mail today. It's too bad, I was kind of enjoying being "off the grid" with no way for the 'the man' to track me for a couple days (plus, since I didn't have my driver's license, Ginger wasn't letting me take the kids to school in the morning and she was doing it). Although since I was online a lot, I guess I wasn't but so far off the grid. Still the idea of being a man with no identity for a couple of days was kind of cool. Right up until I needed to buy something anyway.

I was planning on putting up another photo or two from this past weekend, but blogger seems to be having some picture issues at the moment, so I'm thinking there's probably not much point to even trying to post pictures tonight. My main page seems to displaying pictures fine (at least it is at the time I'm writing this), but all the archived posts have no pictures displaying. Makes me wish I had done what Barry did and started hosting all my pictures on some other server and using the links in my posts (although after taking a look at Barry's blog, it seems as if he got tired of the extra work and just started using blogger for photos again since on his archived pages a lot of his pictures are missing also). The odd thing is if I see all the pictures in picasaweb. So the servers that handle those requests (the ones named lh[3-6].google.com) seem to still be able to access the pictures, but for some reason the blogger picture servers (bp[0-3].blogger.com) don't see them. Maybe all the mounts older than a couple weeks got removed or something. Whatever mojo they were using to connect those servers definitely seems to be broken at the moment. What's really odd is John claims he can see some of the pictures that I can't (I'm pretty convinced he's on crack though).

Hmmm, and now right before I submit this post, it appears that the problem is that picasa is offline for maintenance, but they forgot to actually inform anyone. And the '30 minutes' is actually taking significantly longer than 30 minutes. Lovely.

1 comment:

Barry said...

If I'm posting only one or two pictures and they are not pictures that I think any of my relatives would want prints from, I'll use blogger as a host.

Otherwise, I export the pictures from picassa after editing and then upload them to a separate host (AOL pictures as of now). I'll generally then compose my post in an html editor (I use the same template, so its pretty quick) and then copy the html to blogger.