Tuesday, April 17, 2007

News Coverage Just Won't Let Up

Well, here we are on "the day after", and all the news stations still seem to be doing nothing but reporting on the incident at Tech. It seems to be 24 hour continuous coverage of it. I'm really ready for the media to move onto something else (anything else). Part of me is worried that by giving it all this attention they're almost asking for copycat type incidents elsewhere. But it appears we're going to suffer through coverage of this for the duration, or at least until the next bankable news story comes along.

The cable networks still seem to be completely gung ho with moving forward to start attempting to assign some type of blame to the situation. The only reason I know the cable networks are still covering this constantly is I've walked in on Ginger as she has the coverage on in the background while she works through some Sudoku puzzles. I'll stick around and watch for a bit to see if there's been any new information released, but invariably the person in front of the mic starts mouthing off on their own agenda and spinning the tragedy into something that they can use to push their viewpoint and I get disgusted and leave. I'll tell you the one thing I've really been surprised by, Geraldo Rivera. I'll admit, I used to think this guy was a joke, and sometimes (even as recent as the stuff after Katrina) he is. But on this subject, he sounds like the lone voice of reason at FOX News. And how screwed up is the situation when Geraldo is the guy that's making sense.

I've seen lots of commentators offer up their opinions. But the one thing I haven't seen that many (or any really) commentators address is the idea of gun control (and maybe I didn't see it because Ginger did have FOX news on). No one seems to want to talk about the elephant in the corner. But maybe someone needs to put forth the idea that maybe, just maybe, ordinary people don't need to own a semi automatic weapon. I've always been ambivalent on the whole gun control issue in the past. And hey, I'm from the country, and I recognize that people like to hunt. It's never been my thing, but it was pretty prevalent in the area where I grew up. So I'm not suggesting that all guns be banned. Let people own a non automatic rifle for hunting purposes, I have no problem with that. I'm just no longer convinced that semi automatic weapons need to be available to ordinary citizens.

Not sure it matters what I think though. The NRA has their headquarters here in Fairfax and because of their influence Virginia has some of the most lax gun laws in the country (a lot like how with tobacco companies having such a large presence here in Virginia I don't suspect we'll ever see a statewide smoking ban take hold either). But don't worry, I'm sure the media will turn the attention away from the gun issue. It will soon be determined that the shooter played video games, or listened to 'bad' music, or engaged in questionable activities. Or maybe they'll just blame the parents. The guns, however, probably won't be blamed.

Sorry, I went on about this longer than I wanted. It's just the media circus around this whole thing really has me frustrated. Part of it is because it's effectively killed the VA Tech I know and love and remember fondly. I think I'll choose to remember it the way John remembers it. I like that version a lot better.

And since I don't want to end on that complete downer, here's some interesting news. There's going to be a Spider-Man musical. Crazy, huh? Well, you haven't even heard the half of it. Here's the really crazy part, it will feature music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge of U2.


And finally, these photos were taken on my trip home Saturday night. I don't think I mentioned where I took the fog pictures before, but I stopped at a scenic overlook on Afton mountain. These photos are from there also.

6 comments:

gaz said...

the one thing I haven't seen that many (or any really) commentators address is the idea of gun control

you can bet your bottom dollar that the subject of gun control won't get addressed if that's where the hq is.

Anonymous said...

Well, I heard the gun control comments on day-one of this tragedy (I listened to a lot of media that day) and was not surprised that this angle was mentioned. I totally agree that a person should not be able to walk into a gun store and buy semi-automatic weapons with just an ID, but I also don't think we should rush into sweeping gun control legislation on a whim based on a senseless tragedy like this. Targeted, thoughtful legislation could be enacted. Honestly, I think that anyone buying a gun should be accompanied by an adult (18 or over) and that the person accompanying the buyer should have to sign a legal document saying that if the weapon is used in a felony or above that he/she could be named as an accomplice. In the Tech case, we have a mentally disturbed person being able to go to a gun shop and purchase a semi-automatic weapon - scary stuff...

JamesF said...

Anonymous: Honestly, I think that anyone buying a gun should be accompanied by an adult (18 or over) and that the person accompanying the buyer should have to sign a legal document saying that if the weapon is used in a felony or above that he/she could be named as an accomplice.

Well, that sounds like a different approach, but I really don't think that solves the problem (and I don't say that because your suggestion is bad per say, but rather I think it's a very complex problem). I can think of at least one flaw with your idea just off the top of my head. What happens if the gun is stolen? Even if it isn't stolen, how long is the other adult on the hook for? Lifetime? What if the gun owner dies the next year and the gun transfers to another family member, is the other adult still on the hook? What happens if the person with the gun moves away, does the other individual still get held accountable? And I don't even want to think about what this would means for second hand gun sales or transferring of property or inheriting things. The sad fact is that people can occasionally just wig out and someone you thought was perfectly rationale and sane can flip. I can't imagine ever being able to enforce a law like that, especially by a jury. And if the law can't be enforced, then there's no real point to it.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm convinced there's no valid reason for the average citizen to have a semi-automatic weapon. Again, I'm not suggesting a ban on all guns, just not allowing ordinary citizen to purchase semi-automatics.

Barry said...

You have to be 21 years old to drink, 25 years to rent a car, but only 18 to buy a gun (any gun). Seems to be a flaw in the logic.

BTW, this morning driving in I heard a lot of discussion on gun control on WTWP, including a caller with the above observation.

JamesF said...

Barry (quoting someone else): You have to be 21 years old to drink, 25 years to rent a car, but only 18 to buy a gun (any gun). Seems to be a flaw in the logic.

Yea, but to play devil's advocate you can drive at 16, vote at 18, and if a draft is in effect be called into service at 18 (where you would more than likely have to use a firearm).

gaz said...

here in the uk it is completely illegal to own a handgun unless you can prove you use it to kill vermin (rats), or it's an antique. you need a licence and depending on what type of gun you want, you need to do different things to get a licence. you need to prove you will store your gun properly, and give the police tons of information about yourself including your medical records. you also need two people as referees to inform the police that you are a person of good nature and sound mind.
i highlight 'medical records' as this would have surely proved beneficial when this particular shooter tried to purchase a firearm.
of course people still illegally own handguns over here but it stands to reason that by stopping people from owning guns you take away a significant amount of potential danger. less guns = less gun crime.