Monday, April 09, 2007

Dahda Daaah Dahda Daaah Dahda Daaah

I watched the movie S.W.A.T. the other night. This is evidently a revitalized treatment of the S.W.A.T television series from the 70s. I don't recall watching S.W.A.T on television when I was a kid, but throughout the movie a variation of the theme song from the original would be playing in the background and I can obviously recognize it as a iconic classic TV theme (I've later learned this may be because the theme song was a pop hit on the airwaves).


The movie has Samuel Jackson in it playing his typical badass role, so it can't be but so bad (I say this without having seen Snakes on a Plane or Black Snake Moan, the latter of which I have to admit looks pretty bad). The movie also has Colin Farrell in it playing a lead character, so take the "it can't be all bad with a grain of salt." No matter though, Jackson gets to play his cliched tough guy persona in this role, and it's obviously a role he's comfortable playing. Not having seen the old series, I can't say how true it is to the original (the fact that one of the team members is a woman leads to me to believe it's a bit different), but to be honest, after watching the movie the plot seems completely independent of the characters and the characters are put into the plot rather the characters driving the plot. In fact, other than using the theme song, I saw no reason for the association at all. If you're watching this movie to see lots of character development, then you've chosen poorly. This movie has lots of action in it and lots and lots of gunfights. In fact, that's really about all it is (don't believe me, just ask Ginger, she commented on the fact that it was almost two hours of gunfire that she could hear while upstairs). This ranks as an average action flick, although there is a scene near the end that has so much macho posturing that it feels as if testosterone will just start seeping out of the television and almost ruins the movie (there two guys fighting and one gets the drop on the other with a gun, but then tosses the gun aside simply to finish the fight mano-a-mano). Not a spectacular movie, but if you're just looking for a popcorn action flick you could do worse than this.

And since no one really cares about the movie reviews, here's a couple non kid pictures that I took at the Easter Eggstravaganza Event on Saturday (and no, that doesn't mean I believe people actually care about the pictures I take, but I like sharing the pictures).





5 comments:

gaz said...

very nice balloon pics, great idea.

i seem to remember the s.w.a.t. movie having neither many special weapons or tactics in it.

Barry said...

First balloon picture is great. You could sell that one.

Scott said...

Balloons are pretty.

Buddy Tignor said...

I agree...the first balloon pic is very nice. Pretty cool that there is no lens flare whatsoever...iconic

Anonymous said...

OMG love the balloons!!!!