Saturday, September 06, 2008

Hanna Does A Drive By

... the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Ok, so it wasn't quite that bad. But with Hana passing through it rained pretty hard. Don't believe me? Then check out Barry's stats on the deluge. We spent the day inside for the most part. I made the mistake of opening up the front door to look outside in the morning. Soon as I did that water started seeping in and dripping from a crack in the upper part of the door frame. So after getting ladder and trying to find where the water might be coming in from the outside and getting completely soaked I eventually gave up. It was impossible to tell where the water was getting in and the places I thought it was coming in didn't stop the water flow when I plugged them up. I'm really at a loss to explain how the water was getting to the spot where it dripping from. I'm really worried this is going to be something very costly to fix. I did drive out to Home Depot (in the rain) and got some silicone sealant, but that still wasn't enough to stem the flow. Luckily by this time the rain was at least letting up a little so we only had to wait a little longer before we didn't have to have a towel or something over the door frame to keep the water from getting out of control.


The rain came down pretty quick. The shot above is our rain basin. I took this on the way back form Home Depot. The water is really deep and made it all the way to the top. In fact it almost completely covered the sign. I guess the picture isn't all that impressive without being able to see a shot of what it normally looks like, but trust me, this is deep. We were lucky and didn't lose power (it did flicker a couple of times). But the day was pretty much wasted from the point of view of being able to get out and do anything.

No comments: