Saturday, January 26, 2008

Still Some Snow Left


Ginger wasn't feeling too well this morning. Another migraine issue I believe. Luckily she started feeling a tad better in the late afternoon, but still wasn't feeling good. Sadly she doesn't have any migraine medicine either though since she called in the prescription to CVS earlier in the week and they never even bothered to fax the approval form to the doctor until Friday, and then they never checked back with the doctor when they didn't hear back, so they're still waiting for approval before they'll fill her prescription.


I took the kids outside some this afternoon. It was cold out, but not freezing (I think the temperature was low 40s). But seeing as how it's getting warmer I figured this might be one of the last times the kids would be able to play in the snow before it melted for good. And since as I've mentioned previously for some reason the front of our house never gets direct sunlight and is always about 10 degrees colder than anywhere else, there's still a layer of snow in the front yard.




I grabbed some pictures of the kids playing at various activities while we were outside, but it wasn't until near the end that I discovered I had set the ISO to 640. I had bumped it up for taking pictures of Quinn at ice skating on Thursday and had forgotten to set it back, so most of the pictures are a tad grainy I think.




Sledding wasn't as big of a hit today as last week, and I think that's in large part due to the fact they just weren't going as far off the ramp as they were last week. Catherine started building structures in the snow, while Quinn concentrated on playing baseball and hamming it up for the video camera when I had that out.


At some point the snowman got lobotomized. It started with Catherine pulling out his arm and using the arm to clean the wax out of his ear. Next thing I knew the stick was going all the way through the snowman's head.


Catherine did take a pretty hard tumble on the ice ramp at one point and hit head first. Luckily though his was right after she was riding her bike, so she had her helmet on and that probably kept that incident from being much worse than it could have been.

Once we got back inside Ginger had set up a treasure hunt that was a follow the clues game. Pretty brilliant I thought since the clues were written down and they had to read them to figure out the next location to go to get the next clue. So in addition to having some fun, they get to practice reading also. Of course they had so much fun doing that it was all they wanted to do afterwards, so they basically reused all the clues and hid different items. I didn't see the appeal since after you've done the clue once you know where to go after that, but that didn't stop them from doing it a couple more times.

This kids were gender challenged today. Tonight at dinner Catherine surprised us by saying she wished she was a boy. When asked why she simply responded with "Then I could do all the things Quinn can do." We explained that she'll eventually be able to do all those things anyway. But what I found amusing about her comment was to contrast it to Quinn's comment this morning at breakfast. While I fixing breakfast and Catherine wasn't around, Quinn had said he wished he was a girl, and when I had asked him why he responded with "Because then I would grow faster since girls grow faster than boys." At least it was a logical reason I suppose.

1 comment:

Curt Sawyer said...

At some point the snowman got lobotomized. It started with Catherine pulling out his arm and using the arm to clean the wax out of his ear. Next thing I knew the stick was going all the way through the snowman's head.


That reminds me of all the old Calvin and Hobbes strips when he would make the crazy snowmen. Ah. I miss Calvin.