Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snowplay Redux


Ginger was feeling a little better this morning, but not a lot better. So rather than make her cook we headed out to eat at Pomodoro's. This place has quickly become one of the favorite places to eat out since we located it and learned they're peanut free and don't use peanut oil to cook (of course, they're right next to Five Guy's which gives out free peanuts, but apparently we're not that concerned about that).


After lunch we ran by the comic book store and the grocery store and then it was back to home. Ginger went inside and laid down for a bit while I stayed outside and let the kids play in the snow some. Quinn got to experience Netwon's first law firsthand today. See once we were outside Quinn insisted we had to do some sledding. The problem is if you look at the picture above, you can see the ground at the bottom of the hill doesn't have a lot of snow anymore. I recommended against it, but Quinn really wanted to sled down the hill. So rather than just tell him no I decided he could make the decision himself. So he cruised down the hill, but then when the rubber tube hit the non snow patch of ground the sled just stopped from the traction. But an object in motion will stay in motion, so Quinn flew off the sled and landed on the ground (and then the sled flipped up over top of him and handed on him also to add insult to injury). I just wish I had gotten a picture of the incident. So after he got up and brushed himself off, he decided that he didn't need to sled all the way down the hill anymore.






Of course both of them still wanted to sled down the lesser sloped portion of the hill. This presented the problem of there was nothing to stop them from continuing down the hill except for me. So I would stand there and catch the sled as it was coming by and hope that I could stop it before it gained enough momentum to continue down the hill. We did have one minor incident where I stopped it too quickly and dumped both the kids out the other side, but it didn't phase either of them in the slightest and they both still wanted to slide some more.




What was really nice was that during this time the were both getting along while playing together. They were taking turns on the sled, and a bunch of times they would sled down together. It's always nice to see them playing nice together and getting along. They probably do it more than I think, but they times when they're getting on each others nerves are the times I end up remembering more it seems.


Eventually we went back to the front yard. And there I had built up a large slide with snow that I had shoveled off the driveway a couple nights ago. So I would balance the sled at the top of the slide and they would get on and cruise across the front yard. I don't have pictures of that though since I had to hold the sled while they were getting on (I do have a couple mini movies taken with the hand held Nikon, but I haven't transferred any of those to the computer yet).


At some point the kids started a parade around the cul de sac. Quinn was carrying one of his Nascar checkered flags and Catherine had a "marshmallow" (which is to say a snowball on the end of a stick). We stayed outside until it became obvious the kids were getting tired (Catherine would statt to whine about Quinn getting too far ahead during the parade and Quinn would start to whine if Catherine ever was first).

No comments: