Monday, January 07, 2008

My Computer Is Back From The Dead


Ginger's switched over to the Mac exclusively now. So I took her computer and started salvaging pieces and putting together a Frankenstein computer consisting of parts of mine that still worked combined with the parts from her computer to replace the pieces of mine that went south. I just have one thing to say about this process so far: "Aaaarrgh."

For the most part this worked, except for the fact that back when my computer first died I took the hard drive and moved all my data off of it. But to do that I had take control of the hard drive on a different computer. So now when I tried boot off that drive it can't find any of my files since I no longer own my own files. So I've had to go through and retake ownership of all my own files. But the problem was it wouldn't even log me in properly to allow me to do that. I think I've finally gotten things back to somewhat normal, but now I see I've got to find a way to free up some space since my 200 Gig drive has less than 1 Gig free now. That and the fact that apparently a month plus out of commission means there's a crap ton of Window's updates that need installing. The interesting thing though is that aside from the nicer keyboard, better speed and better view screen I haven't really missed having that computer that much. The laptop was serving my needs just fine for the most part. I guess I have missed being able to create videos, but that's about the only thing.

No comments: