Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Will She or Won't She

It's getting really close to time for us to decide whether Catherine will be attending school come January. The school currently has a loose stipulation that the children must be completely potty trained. Catherine's been doing really well recently, but still needs some prompting at times. So it's getting really close. I think with where she's at we'll probably try and get her in and attending, since she really is almost ready. After four and a half years of having to buy diapers, I long for the time when that item will no longer be on our weekly list of required items. I assume if Catherine does end up attending, that she would be put into a different class than Quinn. I still can't believe how fast they're growing up.

So on Monday night, we did end up getting some snow. Maybe around 3 inches worth, there was significantly less on the roads. Quinn's school was open an hour later than normal. And the roads seemed perfectly fine when I went to work.

Tuesday night we all watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the animated one). The kids liked it. I probably should qualify that we all were in the room, since I vaguely remember seeing the Grinch on the sled going down the mountain and then the next thing I knew Quinn was waking me up and the credits were rolling. Guess I was tired.

Thursday is our big demo at work. I think our part is pretty solid. We'll see how things go tomorrow. My computer here at home is acting a little wonky, this is the third time I've typed all this in (and I've been less verbose each time). I think part of the problem is earlier tonight I downloaded the PDF for my camera and adobe reader upgraded itself. Speaking of Adobe, I've been using Photoshop (LE version 5.0) for image manipulation, but to be honest, I'm not that happy with it. It does all the basic stuff really well, but for more complex stuff, I'm just not seeing how to do things. Like I wanted to add some word balloons to pictures, and for the life of me I see no easy way to do it using Photoshop LE, if anyone out there has a favorite image manipulation tool, let me know (free ones are obviously preferred over something I would have to pay to use). I've recently downloaded Gimp, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

5 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

The Gimp is good but has way more horsepower than I know how to use.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the demo :)

BullBunky said...

I don't know Gimp...what is that? I will say that I have heard great things about the latest Photoshop Elements (4 I believe). I think it has all the key tools from the heavy Photoshop that a photographer needs. And its only $100-150. I haven't used it yet, because I have Photoshop, but I would recommend it. Photoshop LE is now a few generations behind with regards to cool tools to make life easier.

JamesF said...

Gimp is basically GNU's free version of photoshop. Pretty impressive actually. Does layering and everything.

And thanks Suzie, the demo actually went really well from the parts I've heard, there were apparently a couple of hiccups during the "show what we've currently got" part, but all the "here's what we plan on doing" pieces did really well.

BullBunky said...

Interesting piece of software. You'll have to tell me how it goes. There are some key tools in Photoshop that I love dearly :)