Thursday, December 22, 2005

More Details

Ginger pointed out that I did a crappy job of explaining why the Neurologist was putting me on a diet. See, starting about 6 months ago I started experiencing these really bad episodes where I would lose some vision because of seeing spots. Then I would get really sensitive to light, to the point where bright light would make me violently ill. Then I would be incapacitated with a serious headache. Everyone claims I was having migraines, but I contend it was merely food poisoning. That occurred intermittently. To only me. Over the course of a couple of months. And the frequency increased over that time period. I've never had one of these migraine episodes prior to like 7 years ago. I had two seven years ago. Then nothing for like 3 years. Then one or two a year. And this year they just went nuts. To the point where about 2 months ago I was having 2 a week. My personal opinion is that these last ones were caused by my switching my soda of choice from Coke to Coke Zero, which probably has some artificial sweetener in it that I react to as I'm exposed to it more. A couple of months ago I switched back to regular Coke and haven't had an episode (still had some headaches and whatnot, but not the super severe ones that were incapacitating). Anyway, that coupled with the knot on my head prompted me to finally visit a neurologist. He couldn't give me any definites as to what was causing them. He seems pretty convinced that stress was involved. But really, at that point, most the stressful stuff that had been going on was over. He also asked if my family had a history of these, to which I had to answer, I don't know. Anyway, my Doc is apparently a big believer that somehow diets contribute to these conditions, and thus his orders on my new eating regimen. I've already told him I don't plan on starting until after the new year. Hmmm, food can cause the migraines, and I never had them before I got married. I'm thinking this food poisoning thing might have something to it (just kidding dear).

Anyway, not much to report here. Kids went into Picture People for another sitting (with both of them this time). To be honest, I wasn't impressed with any of the shots. We put together a table tonight that we bought to put the foozeball, ping pong, air hockey game on. Not much more I can add here except to show the pictures from the sitting so everyone can see how bad they were.



1 comment:

Leah Bennet said...

Several years ago...after pickling myself with aspertame for 20 years...I woke up one morning, and my hands were numb. After that they became hypersensitive to touch. I could only touch things that were very smooth, and cool...other wise my whole body felt as though I was scratching my nails on a blackboard. The neurologist I consulted did every known test. Nothing. Then one day, a friend said, "Leah, you drink diet drinks all the time. Maybe it's the aspartame." I quit that day. After I week there was impressive imporovement, and it took about a year and a half to get the whole thing out of my system. My neurologist blew me off. Another one I spoke with said that it was most likely the problem. Personally, I think I'm living proof. Good luck with your diet! and your prognosis!