Sunday, July 22, 2007

Left! Right! Watch Out For That Bridge!

And when the music stops and everyone has to find a house to stay in! We vacated last week's house and officially moved over to the new one today. It made for a crazy morning, but we were done before 10. From there we spent a lot of time debating what we would do for the day. We thought about going to see the Hatteras lighthouse, but then the kids didn't seem overly excited about that. Then we thought about going and climbing the sand dunes, but it was the middle of the day and we thought the sun would be too hot. So we finally had to go drop off the keys to the old house, grab some lunch and then we just headed back home.


On the way back we stopped at a little shopping area on the sound and the kids picked up some new toys from a hole in the wall toy store (paid for courtesy of Nana). The photo above was taken on the deck /pier of the shopping area.

Once we got back home we lounged around the house for a while and everyone played the Wii for a bit (with Ken and Amanda creating a couple of new Mii characters). Quinn ate a small amount of peach in order to play. Of course he gagged on it though, so I'm not sure what's going on. He can sit there and lick something for minutes and have no problem with the taste, but then when he takes a bite he'll gag. That has to be some kind of psychological block.




Anyway, after everyone played the Wii some (Quinn actually beat me at Tennis once, quite thoroughly I might add) we decided to go do paddle boats. I ended up not going on the boat since it could only hold four people. Instead I wound up being the official photographer of the outing taking pictures and videos of everyone (no easy task since I was juggling Ken's video camera, my video camera, my D70 and my hand held Nikon).


They started off with Nana and Quinn in the back steering. After a couple of laps everyone switched and Catherine and Ginger were steering. I got some video of that, but no "good" pictures. And by good I mean I don't have any good shots of when they hit the bridge, or went in circles, or went through the edge of the bridge and ran ashore (only to be heckled by mini golfers on the bridge). All in all I think they made four laps total around the moat having what sounded like a grand ole time as everyone (including spectators) was laughing at the chaos. It did seem like Nana had a tendency to a back seat paddle driver, although since steering in the back I guess it would be called a front seat paddle driver.


Check out how hard Ken's working in his boat. It's no wonder Karen and Amanda decided to quit after only one lap around the moat saying paddling was too tiring.


I managed to go get some more sunset pictures tonight. There was a fox sitting right there in the sand from the sound had receded when I got there. Of course he was sitting right where I was planning walking. So I told him I was just there for pictures and wasn't looking for trouble, and if he left me alone, I would leave him alone. I tried taking his picture a couple of times, but I keep forgetting that with my lens if I go for the maximum zoom I need a lot of light to take a non blurry picture (and having hands that didn't shake would probably help as well). He moved off to the side, but didn't really seem to inclined to give up his ground completely, so I thought we would call it a truce and went around the other side of the area.




The sun went through some clouds on the horizon as it was setting, so it wasn't as dramatic as it could have been. But I'm still happy with some of the shots. I stuck around a bit after the sun finished setting to get some of the afterglow shots.




The water on the sound had receded even more today than it had yesterday. I was able to walk over 100 yards out into the water and barely have the water come up over my knees.


So what's the verdict here folks? I plan on taking more of these sunset shots (time and conditions permitting), but are people still interested in seeing these? Or have I beat this horse to death?

3 comments:

Barry said...

The sunset photos keep getting better.

Curt Sawyer said...

Did you say, "Swiper no swiping!"

;-)

Sunset pictures are cool.

Anonymous said...

I like the sunset pics too!