Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Change


Who else was up glued to the TV before eleven? I still can't believe VA actually went blue. And I can't believe how close VA was. And I can't believe how fast things got called just after VA was called (which was also right after the west coast polls closed). This is a truly historic moment for our country and call me sentimental but I'm actually filled with hope. I will add that I actually think this was as much of a referendum on the Republican party as a whole as it was a decision for Obama.


For those of you have are still looking for reasons to vote for Hippo or Spotty, Quinn put out new statements for each of them tonight. Spotty has said he plans on taking money out of banks and giving it to the poor (no information on where this money comes from or whose it is). Hippo has claimed he'll make small compact cars (with only two seats) available for only $100.

2 comments:

gaz said...

raise a glass to the man - let's hope he delivers.
fantastic news.

wtfree3 said...

That is one weird picture at the top there. Not trying to be a wise-acre or anything, but the way they twisted the background of signs (I'm assuming that's what it is), it either looks like a bunch of gold bullion going down a drain hidden behind Obama and Biden or a bunch of supporters holding their signs who are essentially sucking up to Obama's/Biden's back-ends (as suggested by the curve of signs toward their backsides).

I'm glad for the historic footnote it represents, but I'm not sure it's going to be that huge of a change, especially if he truly seeks compromise (as he generally highlighted in his speeches) or whether he more closely leads to where the Congressional majority lies. It's going to be an interesting tug-of-war, one that Clinton successfully managed (though he had a counterbalancing Republican Congress he had to work with most of the time) and Carter not so much. I call this a footnote because it represents just one, simple (yet important) event. What he does with the presidency is what may or may not be historic. Most of it is going to be mundane. How he deals with the unexpected challenges and opportunities is what will define it, not some simplistic (and unrealistic) campaign platform.

(And don't jump on me for that last statement. Both candidates had such platforms. Unfortunately, it's the norm for politics.)