Thursday, October 05, 2006

Couch Potato

This definitely falls in the category of being one of the stupider things I've heard in a long time. If you happened to watch the first episode of Heroes last week (not this week's episode, but the pilot episode from last week), there was a scene where the cheerleader who has regenerative powers (think Wolverine type healing factor) sticks her hand into a garbage disposal where it gets completely mangled and then instantly heals. You see, this scene was there as a 'subtle' clue to the viewer that she has healing powers. It was a scene included for the express purpose of further cementing the character's healing powers, which is obvious because how many people in real life end up sticking their hand into disposal while it's running. I'm not sure what the message was here, it was either she has healing powers (which we had already been shown), or that healing powers make you stupid. Anyway, apparently you could briefly see the manufacturer's name on the disposal, and they've taken offense and now claim the scene "casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product" (I'll bet a little cleanser with bleach could clear that tarnish right up, ba-da-bum crash). They've filed a lawsuit to prevent the re-airing of that particular episode (I'm guessing this won't bode well for the eventual DVD release of the show). I'm not sure if the disposer manufacturer really care or if this is just a publicity stunt on their part, because I watched the episode and couldn't have told you the brand name of the disposal if I had to (I do remember groaning internally when the scene occurred thinking how over the top it was a demonstration of her healing power). The good news though is that NBC has ordered up a full season of the series based on the initial numbers it did.

I got home late tonight, and the kids were already getting ready for bed. I really wanted to get home earlier tonight so I could spend some time with them since Catherine is going to be going down to Richmond for the weekend tomorrow. And since Ginger has a meeting about the Fall Fair at the school tomorrow morning, she's taking them in to school instead of me.

So once the kids were asleep and before we started watching TV tonight, I finished watching Lucky Number Slevin (I had watched the first half of it last night). I liked this movie a lot. And I'm not sure why I liked it. It think it was probably the pure sarcastic wit displayed by Josh Harnett's character. That and the overall dialogue. The dialogue is great. The banter between the characters is really well done, and comes across as believable without sounding scripted. The story is decent, if not overly predictable at times.

After I finished watching Slevin, Ginger and I watched CSI. After three weeks of not really solving any cases, they made up for it by having four cases that they solved in one night. Strangely, I still don't recall the case from the first three episodes being solved yet. While I didn't like having this many cases crammed into the hour, I did like the fact that it was a "done in one" episode versus part of some larger season long complex story. My personal preference is that CSI not do multiple long storylines that stretch throughout the season, but rather do more of the done in ones (with the occasional dramatic mandatory ratings two parter). One long storyline is fine, as long as they only devote a small amount of time every so often toward the larger storyline, sort of like they did back in the first season.

And finally, here's a couple of pictures I took outside recently.



3 comments:

The Dogfather said...

I agree the disposal folks suing is right up there with stupid, 100%.

But the scene here is not supposed to be a reminder that she has healing powers. That scene is supposed to show her struggle with wanting to reveal her powers to her mother (or parents) and her fear of them rejecting her like her birth parents did.

mattfite said...

and i thought it was designed to illuminate to us that her regenerative powers not only heal her wounds, but clean up most of the blood. you will recall that there was no blood on her hand after the indicient (only drops on the floor so we could see the dog joke).

JamesF said...

Ok Ken, that's a good interpretation. I hadn't thought of it in that light with the Mom (even though they had touched on that right before during dinner).

And to Matt, I can almost see the no blood after healing thing, depending on how the cut was made and how it healed. Although in this case I think you're right and that it was a continuity goof.

Anyone else notice that when Hiro went to the future Nathan had easily won the election? I bet that ends up having to change in order to prevent the destruction.

I read this week's online comic about Hiro, in the comic he ripped up a copy of Action Comics #1 and used it for oragami.